Thursday, October 20, 2011

Porridge? My first breakfast post...

So this is what I threw together for breakfast today: put a cup of water in a saucepan to boil. Meanwhile, I toasted 1/4 cup of steel cut oats in 1/2 Tbsp. butter in another saucepan over medium heat until they started to get a slightly nutty smell, then poured in about 3/4 of the boiling water and 1/4 cup milk, turned the heat down to low, covered and simmered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. I added the rest of the hot water as the liquid evaporated and was absorbed by the oats. While that was simmering, I combined 1Tbsp. brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. dark maple syrup, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ground clove in a ramekin, added a 1/2 Tbsp butter, and microwaved it for 15 seconds to melt the butter, then stirred it all together. I also diced 1/4 of a Granny Smith apple (skin on) and tossed it in a bowl with a little lemon juice. Once the oats were done, I transferred them to a bowl, stirred in the sugar/syrup mixture and half the diced apple, then topped it with the rest of the apple. Here's the result:


In hindsight, I probably could have cleaned the edges of the bowl a bit before the picture, but I was hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment